Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Legos

Raising children on a basic level is pretty easy, in my book.  Knowing when they are hungry, tired, need to use the restroom...those sort of things, are easy to assess and take care of.  But that is where the buck stops, especially when it comes to boys, and especially since I am not one.  The energy, the need to destroy or fight, the car/plane/gun noises that I can't make to save my life!  However, there is one thing about boys that is just WAY above my skill level.  Legos.  The very word baffles me.  A box of 700 pieces just mortifies me.  And we have just entered that phase.  Logan and Elijah LOVE legos...Cadel likes to eat them, but that is a whole other story.  The intricacy of these mega structures just amazes me to no end.  I am just in awe of what my boys (and husband) can make.  The levels of building and little attachments that show skills way beyond my understanding.  Yes, Legos are, I'm sure, amazing to probably half the people in the world, if not a favorite.  It is very neat that my boys can spend hours building and using their imagination and creativity and play so nicely together.  For that I am thankful.  But again, that is where the buck stops.  Have you ever stepped on a Lego?  Ouch!  Have you ever had to search for a certain piece that is "oh so necessary" that is about the size of half a millimeter?  Good grief!  Have you ever taken the instructions and mustered up all your brain power and patience to spend and hour building what the box displays only to have it dropped and shattered into a million pieces just moments later?  Oh man!  I really don't understand this "toy," but apparently it is another insight into boys and who they are and what they love.  I guess the only way to understand is to watch through that "window" and try to learn something about this amazing gender.  Maybe I'll begin to understand some things, maybe I won't.  But then again, I don't expect boys to understand the importance going to a party where all you do is sit and drink tea for hours. :)

1 comment:

  1. I know just what you mean! Lonnie and our boys would play for hours putting Legos together. And yes, this momma has stepped on a few Legos herself. I have a huge box of Legos and I am looking forward to the day when I get my things out of storage and the family gets together. Those boys (and I mean the big ones too) are going to have so much fun putting some amazing things together. And we can drink our tea (or coffee if we need it!).

    ReplyDelete